ISO’s Sprinkler Plan Review Service
Services for municipalities
ISO offers its Sprinkler Plan Review Service to benefit fire officials, building-code authorities, and contractors. The service gives you an unbiased evaluation of a planned sprinkler system — before the building goes up or the system goes in. The primary service includes a review of sprinkler drawings and hydraulic calculations, including verification of hydraulic designs and system specifications. ISO uses current National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards and local requirements as the basis for the review.
Go to the specialists
ISO reviews fire sprinkler plans throughout the United States. Our review staff is knowledgeable in the latest technological advances in sprinkler fire suppression. NFPA 13, the “gold standard” for the installation of fire sprinkler systems, has become more and more complex. Large-drop sprinklers, sprinklers for high-challenge fires, and Early Suppression Fast Response (ESFR) sprinklers can challenge even the best reviewers to make an accurate determination of the viability of a sprinkler system. ISO has the qualified specialists to perform your reviews no matter how complex.
Reviewing plans can take up your time and eat away at your budget. And time is money. Save money by outsourcing to ISO — at no cost to your community. ISO bills contractors directly.
Maximize your service to the community
You want your staff in the field checking and verifying new fire sprinkler system installations and conducting fire prevention inspections of buildings in your community, not behind a desk reviewing plans. ISO’s Sprinkler Plan Review Service gives your staff the freedom to conduct those on-site visits.
Are backlogs or overflows getting you down? If the contractor is willing to pay the modest accelerated service fee, ISO can turn the plans around in as little as one working day.
What the contractor gets
- stamped plans indicating the drawings our specialists have reviewed
- a cover letter summarizing the review
- a summary report with design information, deficiencies, and conclusions of the review
- information about the potential effect on the cost of fire insurance for the property, along with information on needed fire flow
How to get started
- Inform sprinkler contractors that ISO is conducting the sprinkler plan review for new construction, additions to existing systems, and new installations in existing buildings.
- Ask the contractor to contact ISO directly at the address or phone numbers below.
The ISO review team averages more than 20 years’ experience in hazard recognition, classifications using NFPA standards, building construction, and plan review.
Our specialists are Certified Fire Protection Specialists (CFPS) or have certification from the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET).
- In the early 1970s, numerous independent insurance rating bureaus from states and regions throughout the United States joined with five national rating and statistical organizations to form ISO. The rating bureaus had reviewed sprinkler plans for decades.
- In 1994, the Fire Prevention and Engineering Bureau of Texas (FPEB) became part of ISO. The FPEB had conducted plan reviews for insurance companies, the Texas Department of Insurance, and many Texas communities.
- In 1998, ISO consolidated countrywide fire sprinkler plan reviews and the plan review service in ISO’s Austin regional office.
- Effectively, ISO has provided review services of fire sprinkler plans for more than 70 years.
- ISO is registered with the Texas Board of Professional Engineers (Registration No. F8893).
You may submit plan reviews by e-mail or paper copy. ISO prefers electronic submittals and we’ll return them by e-mail. ISO returns paper submittals by regular U.S. mail. We can provide express mail service if you supply your account number with the submittal. ISO will apply and calculate state sales tax based on the laws of the state in which you reside.
Standard turnaround is ten days. Three-day or one-day service is available for an additional charge.
To learn more or to order Sprinkler Plan Reviews, contact:
ISO Plan Review Department
4030 W. Braker Lane, Suite 350
Austin, Texas 78759
Phone: 1-800-277-8392 (U.S.)